Mommy tummy and baby nurturing at 6am …
So, how did this blog come about ? Well, the other day I saw a photo of myself and it wasn't exactly earth shattering as far as pretty, hi-res publish to Vogue, it was a simple selfie in a knee length bodycon dress. But, it's different, it showed everything (well mostly everything) a woman has, cleavage, legs, body contour, and … a mommy tummy. My mommy tummy is something that I mostly don't notice, it's fairly flat, but sometimes it shows and I also notice when I am working at my desk in maybe a pencil skirt. A little round belly, nothing huge, but there.
I do at those times find myself unknowingly cradling it with my hand. I find it soothing in a way, which is where the 6am thing comes into play in the title. 6am is when I woke up and started thinking about that photo and holding my belly and then thoughts about babies … then I started crying. It's okay, it's not really a sadness that caused me to cry, it was I think something I miss.
Babies grow, they become toddlers, teens and adults. When they are still babies, they need caring for. You put them in shopping carts at the grocery store, throw them on your hip when they aren't still in that wobbly phase of “mommy, help me hold my head up!”. It's those moments that don't come around again, for some, it does, many many times, and raising one was enough for me.
I remember being at church a few times in the little day care area and holding little babies and toddlers that just needing holding because their mommies were not there right then. Being able to hold a child, make them feel safe, it's a gift, even if it's someone else's for five minutes.
Some women like to be flat, but, I think a mommy tummy, just a little one is a little way to hold on to a memory, a thought maybe of a little human.
There is something warm and comforting about having a mommy tummy. Just that little roundness that just adds to all the other round shapes I don't know, it's something that when you are young, you don't notice, or you do but it's subconscious. it's one of those defining womanly things, yes there are breasts, but women aren't just boobs on legs.
So yes, at 6am, this is what I thought about when I woke up, it's why I was teary eye'd, sad and happy.
Comments
Post a Comment